It’s been a busy and productive afternoon, I managed to grab a few hours and some nice weather to tackle some jobs I’ve been waiting todo for some time. I swapped over my new genuine Yamaha fairing and fitted some genuine Yamaha crash bars.
You may have previously read how I had picked up a Fibreglass fairing copy, which I had been meaning to send to a local spray shop. Time and money delayed that, however in the mean time Yamaha had drastically reduced the prices of their fairings, from £450 to £180, with these supplied fully painted. With a spray shop quote coming in at around £100-120, it was a no brainer.
I still need to source some decals and swap the Yamaha tuning fork badge on the front, but all in all a reasonably straight forward job to swap everything over.
The first job was to remove the old crash bobbins from my now trashed belly pan. These bobbins really had taken a beating, with one actually falling off last time I had the bike at a garage for tyre change! I’d obviously bent it and hammered it back so much that the join between the bobbin and its bracket was knackered. It would have done nothing in the event of the bike going down.
Fitting the crash bars was a breeze, with the hardest part being the slotting a spanner between the down pipes to grip the bolts on the ends of the replacement engine mounting bolts. The bar may not be quite a nice looking as the original belly pan, but they should be a lot more practical and provide far more protection if (when!) I crash again.